Understanding 2 Peter 3:8
Probably one of the most confusing verses in the Bible is 2 Peter 3:8 which says:
2 Peter 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
This is a comparison between the difference in time passage between where we are and where Heaven is. Being with the Lord is being in Heaven. Many Christians believe that God is outside of time so therefore Heaven is also outside of time. This idea is usually used when a Christian does not understand how eternity works, or how God created things. But does the Bible support that God and Heaven are outside of actual time?
Revelation 8:1 And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour.
You cannot measure time where time does not exist. So 2 Peter 3:8 is a comparison of the time difference between Heaven and where we are at. So to make it more understandable we need to change the equation from comparing days to years to comparing years to years. And since a year contains 365 days we will times both numbers by 365. So what we get is 1 year compared to 365,000 years. What this means is that when 1 year passes on earth 365,000 years passes in Heaven. What that also means is that Heaven is 365,000 times faster than we are.
What questions does this answer?
- How God can be everywhere at once.
- How angels can be there so quickly to protect us from harm.
- How God can create in 6-24 hour days. It’s because God can do 1000 years of work in one 24 hour day because of the time difference between Heaven and earth.
- Explains how when we have a near death experience (NDE) that everything seems to go in slow motion. Our bodies prepare for possible death and separation of the soul. This gives us a glimpse into the eternal dimension where time is faster. And as we look into this dimension of faster time, the time where we were in becomes slower in our perception of it. This is why everything looks like it’s going in slow motion.
The Bible is called the living word because no matter how many times you read it you find something new to understand. And the more we understand opens our minds and hearts to know that there is a God and there is none like Him.
To the right (on desk computers) there are 3 videos to watch if you want to understand this better from a scientific viewpoint.
1) Time is not constant. Shows how time is fluid aka in flux not constant.
2) Time Dilation in laymen terms. Explains the 1st video in laymen terms by a retired aerospace engineer.
3) Math of the universe. Shows how the whole universe is like one big math equation.
Because other devices like phones and tablets load the page differently. You may have to scroll down a bit to find these videos.